Porter's Guide and Directory
Index to Porter's Directory 1912
for North County Dublin
Donabate is a small but interesting village and parish in the Barony of Nethercross. Area, 5,100 acres. Population 734 in 150 houses. It has a station on the Great Northern Railway system, about ten miles north of Dublin, and two miles from the sea at Portrane. The largest lunatic asylum in Ireland is within the parish at Portrane. Dr. Cullinan is Chief Medical Officer. There are two excellent National Schools. The Catholic Church is one of the most ornate in Ireland; it is built of red brick with stone facings and roofed with red tiles in the ancient Gothic style. The original church was built about 1840, but at a meeting the parishioners held in November, 1901, it was resolved to build a new church, the old one having served its sacred purpose for ninety years. It was built by Father P.L. Keeling, then Parish Priest. The present beautiful little edifice was constructed from designs of Mr. George O'Connor, Architect, the builders being Connolly and Son, Contractors, Dominick Street, Dublin. It was opened by the Archbishop of Dublin (Dr. Walsh) in 1903. It cost about £6,000, and since the date of construction about £1,000 by the addition of a new high altar of Carrara marble, with carved panels from the life of St. Patrick. There still remains a debt on the church of £2,400. There is another church at Balheary, on which £350 were spent on restoration in 1910.
PORTRANE BOYS' NATIONAL SCHOOL - Wm. O'Brien, Head Teacher; Mrs. M. O'Brien, Assistant. Average attendance about 55. Reports "Good". A site has been selected for a new block of buildings and teachers' residences. Building operations are expected to commence immediately.
PORTRANE GIRLS' NATIONAL SCHOOL - Mrs. L. Kelly, Principal; Miss Mary Ann O'Connor, Junior Assistant. Average attendance 58. Last report "Very Good".
DONABATE POST OFFICE - Money Order, Telegrams, Annuinties, &c. Miss E. Hanrahan, Postmistress.
R.I.C. CONSTABULARY - David Boyle, Sergt. and four Constables.
Baring, The Hon. Cecil, Lambay Island.
Bates, E., General Carpenter.
Beattie, George, Lanistown House.
Brien, John, Lanistown.
Carolin, Rev. S.J., Incumbent.
Cobbe, T. M., Newbridge House.
Connell, Daniel, Farrier, Shoeing and General Smith, Turvey.
Connell, John, Farrier, Shoeing and General Smith.
Cotter, Rev. John, C.C., St. Patrick's.
Cuffe, Mrs., Kilcreagh.
Cullinan, Dr. H., Superintendent of Portrane Asylum, Portrane House.
Deane, A.S., Newlawn.
Dodd, Michael, Tommintown.
Donabate Railway Station, Mr. Finnigan, Station Master.
Forde, Dr., Portrane Asylum.
Hall, Captain, Prospect House
Hand, John, Merchant Tailor.
Hanrahan, Miss E., Stationer and Post Mistress.
Hanstock, J., Prospect
Hill, Joseph, Estate Agent, The Cottage
Hughes, Miss, Matron, Portrane Asylum.
Keeling, Jospeh, Family Grocer, Farmer, Wine and Spirit Merchant
Keeling, Mrs. Margaret, Grocer and Vintner, Brook House, Portrane
Kelly, Mrs., Headmistress, Girls' National School
Keys, George, K.C., Turvey House.
King, John, Martello Tower
Lynders, M., Farmer, Portrane
Lynders, Richard, Balcarrick.
McAllister, Charles, Middlefield
McAllister, Christopher, Family Grocer and Provision Merchant
McAllister, Daniel, Farmer, Staffordstown House
McCourt, James, Lanistown House
Merrick, Patrick, Annabrook.
Murray, John, Head Attendant, Portrane Asylum
O'Brien, William, Head Master, Portrane Boys' National School
Portrane Coastguard Station, Mr. Torbit, Chief Boatman
Sheridan, Dr., Portrane Asylum
Smith, Launcelot, Beeverstown
Smyth, J. Corballis House
Smyth, Richard, Corballis
Smyth, Thomas Joseph, Family Grocer, Farmer, Spirit and Provision Merchant, Bridge House
Index to Porter's Directory 1912
Site home page
Shaw's Dublin City Directory of 1850